Why should rising damp be treated?

Why should rising damp be treated?

PROTECT YOUR HOME

Damp causes many kinds of degradations to a house: mould, mildew, salt efflorescence, rotting wood, bad smell, etc.

Inside and outside walls thus deteriorate (see pictures above).

 

TO PUT AN END TO RESTORATION WORK

 

 

The degradations caused by damp in the walls (inside and outside) will inexorably require repair works on paintings, roughcast and/or wall papers.

FOR YOUR HEALTH

 

 

In adults: Damp increases the risk of developing allergies to mould and dust mites. Due to the presence of mildew, damp, and dust mites in large quantities, these allergies will then lead to respiratory problems and illnesses (like asthma, bronchitis, etc.) as well as other illnesses such as conjunctivitis, rhinitis, etc.

Joint troubles such as arthritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatisms also worsen because of damp.

In children: damp has undesirable effects on children’s health. In addition to being more delicate than adults, children can develop chronic diseases because of ambient damp and mildew, like asthma as well as allergies (to dust mites, for example).

Children living in a damp environment have 1.5 to 3.5 times more risk to develop these diseases. Asthmatic infants can also develop a chronic cough.

FOR ECONOMIC REASONS

 

Ambient damp leads to an increase in energy consumption and higher heating costs. The moisture present in the air indeed absorbs heat, so the heating system works more to compensate the loss.

A damp house can consume up to 25% more energy that a non-damp house.

It rapidly loses value on the real-estate market and selling it will then become more difficult.